Monday 18 November 2013

Christmas Baking Series #1: Candy Cane Chocolate Swirl Fudge

So, yea. I love Christmas. I know you've probably gathered that from previous posts, but I thought I'd just tell you again in case you were wondering :) However, since work has been so busy, I haven't really had a chance to get "in the mood" to decorate/shop/bake etc. I pretty much come home every night and sit, drooling, on the couch.

However, yesterday, hubs and I got in the mood (not THAT kind of mood, you perv) and got a whole bunch of shopping done, set up the tree and even did a little decorating!


On Saturday, I was invited to a Passion Party (totally hilarious/informative btw) and I told the hostess I would bring something, so I decided to use this as an opportunity to kick off my Christmas Baking Series and made this AMAZING fudge.

It was SO EASY to put together and it tasted delish. The neat thing is, you can start with the fudge base (condensed milk & white chocolate chips) and try different flavours/additions with it. This recipe however is something I'll be making A LOT of for Christmas Parties. Took me 10 minutes to whip up and seriously, it tastes like Christmas. In fact, I could go for some right now...but it's all gone.


Candy Cane Chocolate Swirl Fudge
original recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction

Ingredients:
3 cups white chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp peppermint extract (feel free to add more/less depending on your taste)
8 crushed candy canes
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Method:
Here is another reason I love this recipe - I get to smash things with a hammer :) What I did was got a bunch of Candy Canes from the Bulk Barn, unwrapped them and folded them up in wax paper. Then, I just smashed them with a hammer. The get all crumbly with both small and larger pieces.

Next, line a 8 x 8 pan with parchement paper and spray with a little cooking oil (like Pam)
In a pot, combine the chocolate chips and the condensed milk and melt at low heat until they are completely blended. Don't put the heat on too high, or else the sugar will burn (which I MAY or may not have done).

Remove from heat when everything is all smoothy. Add the peppermint extract and candy canes and stir. I found 1/2 tsp of the extract wasn't enough for me, so I added more. 

How Festive!
Pour the mixture into your pan and smooth with a spoon. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and swirl them in with a knife. Finally, sprinkle the top with a few more crushed candy canes and press into the fudge. 

Put in the fridge to set for at least 3 hours! Cut up and serve. Save some for yourself too, because it will be gone in a flash!

- Lisa
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment