Monday 22 April 2013

Cake Batter Truffles *NOM*

Okay...I have a confession. I LOVE to dip everything and anything in chocolate. It started a couple of years ago when my friend K came over and suggested we dip Rice Krispie treats into chocolate for a fun, inexpensive Christmas gift. While we failed MISERABLY at it, they were still delish! I thought, hmmm...maybe I can trick people into THINKING I can bake by dipping things into chocolate.

First Attempt: Oreos
Result: Orgasmreos

Second Attempt: Cheesecake Oreo Truffles (mashed up cream cheese and Oreos dipped in Chocolate)
Result: Holy TrEFFles

Anyway, you get the idea. Everything dipped in chocolate is delicious.

This is what sparked my love of treat making. Once I got cocky and realized I could make other, much scarier things (like Salted Caramel Bark and No-Bake Cookies) I forgot about my original love!  So, when I saw the Cake Batter Truffle recipe on Pinterest, I figured I'd go back to my "roots" and try it out!

HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF CAKE BATTER these are good! A must try!

Cake Batter Truffles


Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (I used salted, melted butter, still amazing)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 & 1/2 cups flour
1 cup yellow cake mix (I used white, still amazing)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup of milk
Sprinkles
2 bags of white chocolate chips

Method:
Beat the butter and the sugar together with an electric mixer until combined. Next, add the flour, cake mix, vanilla and salt and beat until everything is blended (it will look dry and unappetizing at this point). Slowly add the milk. The original recipe calls for only 3-4 tbsp of milk, but I needed a lot more than that, so add the 1/4 cup a little at a time until it becomes a dough.

Next (the fun part!) mix in the sprinkles by hand! Add as many as you would like! I didn't have very much on hand, but believe me, I would have gone CRAZY with the sprinkles if I could! Roll into 1" balls (they may looks small, but once you get them dunked in chocolate, any bigger is too much) and put on a baking sheet lined with parchment (or foil). Put in the fridge/freezer for 15mins. 


About 5 mins before your dough is ready, put the white chocolate chips into a double boiler (or in my case, just a regular pot) and SLOWLY start to melt. SLOWLY.

Once dough is firm & chocolate is melty, dip away! I just use tongs to dip the balls into the choclate, but if you have a better method, definitely use that (and then tell me what you do, because using tongs is VERY messy). Every so often (after 6 truffles or so) add more sprinkles to the top!


When you are done, but in the freezer to set. They should be ready in about 10 mins or so! You can store them in there OR in the fridge!

Enjoy!  

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is WOW! These truffles are amazing! I made them for a girl's night and they were a hit. So easy to make, and absolutely scrumptious. I found the white cake mix with sprinkles already in it, so I skipped the step of adding them to the dough. So good.

    Thanks Lisa! Looking forward to trying out the doughnut recipe next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Gina, I am soooooo glad to hear that!!! Love the sprinkles already in the mix, that sounds perfect! Let me know how the doughnuts turn out! I made a batch last night and they were fantastic!

      Delete