Tuesday 30 April 2013

JUST DO IT!

**Author Note: This is a re-post from my first blog "I Feel a Blog Coming On". I've since switched over to "Running to Bake" exclusively but I'm in need of a kick in the ass to get back into running after my half marathon, so I thought I'd re-post this for me, but also for anyone who needs a good arse kicking right now!**


How many times in your life have you seen the Nike slogan "Just Do It"? I know for me, it's more times than I can even imagine. Since their campaign started (which was actually 1988, the year after I was born) those words flash across the TV screen, appear in magazines, T-Shirts & billboards. The interesting thing is, those 3 words never really meant anything to me. They were just catchy words meant to sell a product like "I'm Lovin' It" or "Got Milk?" and "Where's the Beef?"

Now, recently, I've started training for a half marathon (I know, you're all like "No sh*t Sherlock, you only post about it every 20 minutes) and something I've had trouble with is, getting up in the morning and going for a run. It's dark & cold and not REALLY early (7am is early, ok guys?). So last Wednesday, was one of those mornings I was supposed to get up and go out. I made excuse after excuse as to why I didn't have to. After getting up I beat myself up and felt like a schmuck. So, later in the day I relayed this to my Running Buddy and she said "You're psyching yourself out, when you wake up, just get out of bed and just do it"

Hmmmmm.

I've been thinking about these words a lot since then. The next morning I got up and hmm'd and haa'd a bit about going for a run and then I said "Just frigging do it" and I did. Then again the next morning and the morning after that and the morning after that.

It's not just for running either. There are so many things in life that are easy to put off that you should just get up and DO IT. Grocery shopping, laundry, vacuuming, taking the dog out, making amends with someone, clearing up a misunderstanding, anything that you're putting off...just DO it.

As cheesy as it is, this is my new mantra. It is so applicable and versatile and I feel almost certain that no matter what it is, and no matter what the outcome, I will be happy that I just DID it.

So thank you Nike, after 25 years of bombarding me with your slogan, I FINALLY get it and I am truly grateful to have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment